Thursday, June 17, 2010

AS220: Do It For Dad




Hello hello, readers! Welcome to a very special Father's Day edition of Your Weekly Events Email. In this issue we will be discussing Great Gifts for Dad, as well as featuring two short editorials, Guess What About Technology and I Cannot Believe My Father Still Asks Me This. I know that some of these topics have been weighing on your mind, readers, and I'm here to offer some relief. Without further ado: Fathers day is June 20, or so the internet tells me, and many of us still have yet to wrastle up an appropriate gift for the paterfamilias. Try these on for size: Get dad out of the house for a fun outing to Beyond The Lighted Stage, the new documentary about Ontario's most legendary progressive rock sensation. Everybody loves Rush, even if they don't know it yet. If material luxuries are your dad's bag, consider a pair of custom designed cowboy boots. Rugged! Utilitarian! Man Town! If all else fails, go with my old standby, pickled herring. Moving on: Hey guys, guess what about technology? Did you know that BMI owns the technology called Shazam? The one where you hold your cell phone up to some musics, and it tells you what song it is? What on earth could they have wanted that capability for? Oooooh, do you think that when you Shazam something, BMI knows? I'm only leaving the house wrapped in aluminum foil from now on. In other news, I went to visit the fam last week, and I Cannot Believe My Father Still Asks Me if I've considered paying for health insurance, or if I'm planning on getting married any time soon. Ok ok, to be fair, that last one was my mother, but still. Get it together, Mitchells. Its the 90's.

Friday night promises a host of hackers and noisemakers so esoteric you'll find yourself in some kind of kaleidoscopic underwater transcendental hypnotic state. Area C provides loops and drones, Myo hacks into contact mics, Jeff Carey real-time multi-channels electro instrumental tunes, and Blevin Blectum casts some sort of Siren/muse/immersive trance curse. Dreamy! Saturday proves to be equally avante, with Screwed Anthologies, Aster, (R)octopus, and ^. Think spandex, improv, audio-visuals, and performance art. Where have you been all my life?! Sunday we'll be drinking as per the usual, but this time to the soothing literary stylings of Bar Plays: Plays Set In Bars Done In Bars. If you haven't seen these yet, you're probably not a raging alcoholic. Keep up the good work! Part deux will happen Monday night, right before my favorite event of the year, Not About the Buildings 4th Annual Spelling Bee. Free to watch! Cheap to compete! Glory can still be yours! Time's a wasting. Start scrabbling right now to be in top form for the smack-down. I'll be heckling. After that, we've got a whole slew of hacker/wizard/noise classes, a free tour with Bert, and a musical memoir with Andy Shernoff of the Dictators and the Ramones. True story! He'll be here next Friday, acoustic style. Oy!

There's the D, team. I'll leave off there. Probably you're tied up buying neckties and cologne. For a full rundown, get thee to our calendar. Until the rock show, away!

No comments: