Saturday, January 10, 2009

Art, Barnacled and Strange Flesh

There are a few things happening tonight on the art front. Stairwell and Machines With Magnets are both hosting openings. Photographs at Stairwell and a skate film at MwM.

There are also some shows, like the Barnacled Release partay at AS220.

OH! and also, I have turned one of my favorite Providence 7"s into MP3s. Strange Flesh circa 1987. I will try to scan the cover because it too is up there amongst my faves (Graham Batting artwork...there is a very similar sticker below). I am going to go ahead and call it a Crossover record, but some might say it falls on the thrash or punk side of the fence. Whatevs...here they are. Bask in the 80's glory:



http://www.lotsofnoise.com/mp3/strangeflesh/01 Decline.mp3

http://www.lotsofnoise.com/mp3/strangeflesh/02 Gates Of Hell.mp3
http://www.lotsofnoise.com/mp3/strangeflesh/03 Something Wrong.mp3

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cover scan and other info here:

http://www.culturevoid.com/ri/strangeflesh.html

75orLess said...

my girlfriend bought a used car five years ago and this single was inexplicably found in the trunk.

Empire Press said...

Awesome! Thank you!! I lost this 7" a long time ago. Speaking of finding things, I used to share a rehearsal space with Strange Flesh and Graham would leave all kinds of crazy drawings of zombies and assorted corpse-people in there. The space was like a tomb too, so it was very appropriate material.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Graham die or leave the band and Julie took over as singer?

Anonymous said...

Graham will never die-you cannot kill what lives in the undead.I(Steve) founded strange flesh in about 83 in Boston,with Julie on bass,me on drums,Nancy Tannenbaum on guitar,with all of us switching off singing.Mark Kennedy took over as lead singer after about a year.When our apt in boston burnt,Julie and I moved to providence,and paul feta joined the band-honestly,I have to say we sucked during this stage.After a couple years mark mathews joined us,at this point,we started to really define our sound-when Graham started singing,everything came together.When Graham could no longer sing due to throat problems and also because of his commitment outside the band as Satans bodyguard and chief of staff,Julie went back to singing.While we progressed musically,and wrote some pretty kick ass shit,to me,grahams tenure in the band defined Strange Flesh,and what I wanted to achieve as a band.But fear not true flesheads

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing these guys play at the QVCC! Thanks for posting this!