Friday, April 23, 2010

Here we are again, readers. The womb-like pleasantness of the blogosphere numbs us not, but rather enables our lucidity and heightens our awareness of the surrounding environs and weekly happenings. While downcity has, of late, been the site of flash floods, drunken brawls, riots surrounding iced coffee, a couple of interesting incidences involving fireworks and proto-farmers markets, innumerable baffling interpersonal interactions, and one quasi-sensual critical mass, let us focus our attention on one western corner known to its devotees as the Artist's Space 220. We've got an epic week lined up, and I heard Meredith baked cookies.

Did anyone else forget to celebrate Earth Day until the 9 p.m. Bono tribute specials ran on cable? No big D, hippies; there's time to go green yet. Sunday night, local Aveda mavens Kim and Courtney host Clean Water Makes Noise, a glimmering extravaganza featuring the musical stylings of local legends I Destroyer, Chrome Jackson, and Holy Sheet. The $6-10 sliding scale cover goes right to Potomac Conservancy, and scores you not only access to a dazzling array of bands, but also a fantastic raffle spotlighting contributions from such local business as The Red Fez, Nick-a-nees, McGinnis Tattoo, E&O, Seven Stars Bakery, White Electric, Julians, Legend Bicycle, Second Time Around, A Pleasant Surprise, The Coffee Exchange, Into the Wardrobe, and Narragansett Brewery. Jigga WHA?! Pass the hemp paper and India ink. I'm signing up. Tuesday evening marks a divergence with a night of hilarity via the comedic stylings of Ahmed Bharoocha, Tim Vargulish, and Michael Wilbur. I've been practicing my heckling, and I think its pretty clear its a term of endearment. Right? Don't be afraid to rest up before Friday; I'm canceling my Saturday brunch plans, because this show might kill me: Derek Holzer (Germany)/TONEWHEELS, Black Pus, humanbeast, and Shawn Greenlee take over Providence and our stage in a calculated attempt to destroy our ears, enliven our spirits, and generally raise hell. Avante garde? Yes. Assaultive? Sure. Unparalleled? Absolutely. I'll be the one up front wearing razor-blades and earplugs.

Until then, I'll be choreographing my routine for the noise show. Jazz Hands! Kick! Spin! Drop! Turn! Sashay! Spirit Fingers!

For a full rundown of the weekly happs, hit up our calendar. Away!

No comments: