Thursday, June 16, 2011

Empire Builder

It has been a little while since I went into Empire Guitars. To be totally honest, last time I was there it was still in the corner of the pawn shop. I was driving by the other day and decided to check out the new, expanded digs. At first I walked up to the front of the pawn shop thinking there was an internal entrance, but there was a printout on the window that directed me otherwise. Heading to the back of the building you  find, around the giant dumpster :( , a colorful mural letting you know that you are on the right track.

Walking in, I was sort of floored. The store is amazing.

Growing up, I always went to the guitar shops in NYC where there was the most unbelievable array of guitars. This was pre-Ebay. so all the shops had a minimum of 30 vintage (50s-70s) Les Pauls and even more Strats...and so on. I have not seen a store that had this vibe in many years. There is one in the outskirts of San Fran, another in Rochester...and a few others here and there...but not in Providence for certain.

The sheer quantity of quality and interesting amps and instruments is crazy. Now, although I bought a cheapo Epiphone SG at Empire a few years ago, this is not the bargain basement of guitars. you may not want to go there if you are shopping for a $50.00 beater.

Anyway, hopefully soon, Mike and the other folks at Empire will start posting gems up here on the front page.

1 comment:

Brynocki C said...

I looked behind some giant dumpsters and still can't seem to find this place...