Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Good new shit

So, I made my sort of yearly visit to one of my favorite record stores on the planet...Aquarius Records (in San Fran). The guys there are really great and the selection is excellent. Anyway, some awesome new stuff came out that I wanted to share:

Danava - I am a HUGE fan. I know that some of you aren't. Your loss. Prog/Glam.



Black Son Of Nexus (B.SON) - sludgy and heavy with scary vox. Best CD packaging ever. All metal, brass or something. [edit: at first, I wrote "best cd" instead of "best cd packaging" ooops]



Earth - the masters of slow are back...but this time, unplugged? It is a weird one, but really good. some distortion but mostly piano and clean. The tiniest pinch of country fried. I know, weird...but it is really good...if you like Earth.



Black Cobra - It is fucking Black Cobra. Enough Said.



Radar Bros - dreamy and pseudo psychedelic. Pink Floydish...kind of. Pleasant. I love these guys.



Middian - offshoot from one of my faves, YOB. really good record.



Mammatus - slow, heavy and psyched out. YOBish, Perry Farrellish vox. I like.



Saviours - Heavy and thrashy...like the Sword. I know...you probably dont like the Sword, but whatever. There are days where I wish there were more SoCal thrash bands in the world and these types of bands fit the bill for me. Guitar-y and produced.



Magnetic Fields - haven't made it all the way through this one yet..but I mean, it is the Magnetic Fields...right? I will let you know.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no offense, but i definitely wholeheartedly do NOT agree with you on that middian record. i can't even get through the first song. its crap.

Ted James said...

The new Earth album is great. Cleaner than Hex but just as large..

Anonymous said...

I also just got back from SF and a visit to Aquarius. Tune in to "What is Grawer" 5pm eastern on fridays KFJC (www.kfjc.org), if you don't already. This is my other favorite Bay Area music source. The DJ Cy Thoth is good to, on thursdays, but he makes my ears hurt too much sometimes.